Passionate. Cutting-Edge. Gold Standard.
Your flirtation with fitness is about to get serious.
You have a passion for group fitness, are committed to expanding your group fitness knowledge, and want to help shape the future of group fitness. The new AFAA Certififed Group Fitness Instructor (AFAA-CGFI) exam was designed for people just like you.
AFAA's Certified Group Fitness Instructor Program is built on AFAA's foundation of more than 30 years as a leader and innovator of group fitness. Using scientific based programing and real-life application, this new course takes the group fitness industry's successes of the past and realigns them with today's research and industry needs to effectively help a new instructor navigate a career in fitness.
It's all part of the application process AFAA is undertaking for the National Commission for Certifying Agencies (NCCA). Having an accredited certification is the ultimate standard in the fitness industry. It provides to you more opportunities and opens many more doors for your career in fitness training. We anticipate the process to be complete in October 2017.
Do you have what it takes to be part of the new AFAA Certified Group Fitness Instructor program? The answers:
AM I ELIGIBLE?
- Participant in the early adopter exam process
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Current Emergency Cardiac Care (CPR) and Automated External Defibrillator (AED) Certification before sitting for the exam (not required to purchase the CPT)
IS THERE A HANDBOOK?
The Certification Candidate Handbook is a comprehensive overview of the AFAA-CGFI certification program and is required reading before taking the exam. The handbook covers topic such as eligibility requirements, the exam outline, expectations and recertification.
CGFI EXAM FAQs
HOW SHOULD I PREPARE FOR THE EXAM?
- Information on testing procedures can be found in the AFAA Certification Candidate Handbook. We recommend reading it and printing it for easy reference.
- You can register for your exam by calling PSI/LaserGrade at 800-733-9267 in the United States and Canada. You will be eligible to schedule your exam three business days after signing up with AFAA. To register for an exam outside of the United State and Canada, you will need to contact AFAA Member Services at 800-466-2322. Please allow four to six weeks for international scheduling. You will have 180 days from sign-up date to take the exam.
- When you go to the testing center bring a valid, current government-issued Photo ID and current, valid Emergency Cardiac Care (CPR) and Automated External Defibrillator (AED) certification. We accept CPR/AED certifications from the American Heart Association, American Red Cross, American Safety and Health Institute, St. John Ambulance, Emergency Care & Safety Institute or Emergency Medical Technician. Before taking your CPR/AED from another provider, please contact AFAA Member Services at 800-466-2322 .
I PASSED THE EXAM. WHAT'S NEXT?
Congratulations! You can print a temporary certificate from your Account Page after three to five business days after passing the exam. An official certificate will be mailed to you within four weeks of passing the exam.
WHAT HAPPENS IF I DID NOT PASS THE EXAM?
You will be allowed to retake the exam after a one-week waiting period. Call AFAA's Member Services Department at 800-466-2322 to purchase a retest. If you are unsuccessful after the second attempt, you will be required to wait 30 days before retaking the exam a third time. After the third try, you will be required to wait a year between each time you retake the exam.
HOW CAN I CANCEL OR RESCHEDULE MY EXAM?
If you need to cancel or reschedule your exam appointment, call PSI at 800-733-9267 at least 24 hours before the exam start time to avoid being charged a late cancellation fee. If you do not show for an exam appointment and you do not cancel, it will be treated as a failed attempt and you will not be entitled to a refund.
I STILL HAVE QUESTIONS
No problem. We have curated a comprehensive list of what we expect to be the most Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs). Please take a look. If you still need help, give us a call.
CERTIFICATION GOVERNING BOARD
The AFAA-CGFI program is governed by a board of seven persons that set policies for the certification and recertification processes and act on violations of the Testing Code of Conduct and Professional Code of Conduct. Occasionally there are openings on this governing board for persons who would like to be involved in this process. For more information on the functions of this board, a listing of the current members, and the application process to be considered for a vacancy, please click here.
Purchase of AFAA certification preparation materials is not required in order to become eligible to sit for the AFAA-CGFI exam, and does not guarantee a passing score on the exam. Candidates who pass the examination will be awarded the AFAA-CGFI credential.
Non Discrimination Policy: AFAA and its designated test vendor, PSI, does not discriminate against any individual because of age, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other protected class. AFAA and PSI endorse and adhere to the principles of equal opportunity.